Pardon my delay…it has been a busy and exciting few weeks. Nearly right on time (my due date was Christmas Day) on Christmas day sir Elliot started to begin to make his presence known. I started with mild contractions around dinner time and they continued to escalate from there, which led to a sleepless night full of pacing and hollering. After a few phone calls to the midwife, at 7:00 AM, we finally made the decision to get our fannies to the hospital. I was nervous to go to the hospital too early ’cause if you have not dilated far enough they send you home and battling a contraction in the car is something I wanted to minimize. Luckily we waited long enough as I had dilated far enough and they let me stay. Phewsicles. Because I was aiming for an au natural birth, they put me in the tub as they prepped the birthing pool, to help manage my contractions. Ummm I cannot sing the birthing pool’s praises enough. That pool was sent straight from heaven. My contractions felt far more manageable in that warm blue pool of goodness. If you have the option, I would highly recommend using one. I swear without this pool, one heckuva midwife, a fairly quick labor, I would have never made it through without an epidural.
At 12:55 PM on December 26th our bean arrived- weighing in at 7 lbs 11oz.
The best moment of my life.
Daddio and Elliot Sage Preston. I have never loved two people more. I am kind of sad this moment is over.
The past 2 weeks have been crazy with me trying to navigate the new world of mama-ville. I have seriously never enjoyed anything like this and I have never been more tired. :)
I cannot believe how fast the days go and I am trying to soak in every moment.
Here are a few pics from the past 2 weeks:
And now for some cookies…
Prior to me going into labor I promised a grain-free, egg-free chocolate chip cookie recipe on instagram. I am a little late on my promise, but better late than never?
- 2c + 2T almond meal (I used trader Joe's)
- 1/4t baking soda
- 1/4t sea salt
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1T maple syrup (grade B is best)
- 1/4c melted butter- if you use salted butter you may want to reduce sea salt to 1/8t.*
- 1T vanilla extract
- 3T of dark chocolate chips (I used a bigger chocolate chip because that was what I had on hand)
- Heat oven to 350
- In a small sauce pan heat butter on low. After butter is melted add maple syrup and vanilla to it and stir.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt
- Add wet ingredients to the dry
- Stir in choc chips
- Place cookies on parchment lined cookies sheet makes about 14-16 cookies assuming you can keep your mitts out of the dough. I couldn't.
- Bake for 11-13 min.
- *using butter from grass fed cows is best due to higher omega 3's. My favorite brand is Kerry Gold.
And with that I am off to love on ma bean.